If you are charged with a criminal offense in the Fredericksburg, Va. Area including the counties of Stafford, Spotsylvania, King George or Caroline, call the Law Offices of Joseph T. Brown PLC for a free, confidential consultation with a Virginia Criminal Defense Attorney.
Criminal charges and convictions can have serious, long term consequences such as fines, loss of license, or imprisonment for months or years. Anyone who is charged with a Criminal Offense in Virginia should have an attorney to represent them.
Criminal Offenses in Virginia are divided into two categories and numbered according to severity of the offense, with one being the highest punishment and worst crime.
- Misdemeanor in Virginia – Classification and Maximum Punishment
- Class 3 and 4 – Fine Only ($500 and $250)
- Class 2 Misdemeanor – up to six months in jail and up to $1,000.00 fine
- Class 1 Misdemeanor – up to twelve months in jail and up to $2,500.00 fine
- Felony in Virginia – Classification and Maximum Punishment
- Class 6 Felony – 1 day to 5 years, $2,500 fine
- Class 5 Felony – 1 day to 10 years, $2,500 fine
- Class 4 Felony – 2 years to 10 years, $100,000 fine
- Class 3 Felony – 5 years to 20 years, $100,000 fine
- Class 2 Felony – 20 years to Life Sentence, $100,000 fine
- Class 1 Felony – Life Sentence, Death Penalty, $100,000 fine